Golden Turmeric Milk Latte: Gold mine of health benefits. Know best way to make (brew) golden milk latte
The good old haldi dhoodh in its new avatar is popularly known as Golden Turmeric Milk Latte. Turmeric being its main ingredient gives milk a bright yellow color thus the name Golden Milk. But turmeric milk is actually ‘golden milk’ mainly due to its exceptional and numerous health benefiting properties. The primary active component in Turmeric is curcumin, a polyphenol that has over 150 potentially therapeutic properties, which include antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
Turmeric in Ayurveda
Turmeric is also known as Haridrā, which means yellow. In Ayurveda it is considered as tri-dosh nashak (balances all three doshas). Because of its hotness it balances Vata and Kapha. Its pungent and bitter taste, and dryness balances Kapha; and due to its bitterness it balances Pitta dosha.
Health benefits of Golden Milk
Both as per Ayurveda and modern science turmeric in the form of golden milk, complimented with other herbs and spices, has many health benefits:-
- Heal the Body: It is an old Indian grandma health recipe and has been used for centuries for healing. Golden milk is rich in antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage, fight off disease and infections and contribute to your overall health.
- Helps fight insomnia and depression: Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, along with Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Nutmeg help you fight depression, anxiety and insomnia.
- Helps reduce inflammation and joint pain: Turmeric, ginger, Ashwagandha, Shatavar, and Cinnamon, the main ingredients in golden milk, have strong anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and joint pain.
- Good for heart: Turmeric, Ashwgandha, Cinnamon and Brahmi all have heart health improving properties.
- Lowers blood sugar levels: As per Ayurveda Turmeric is considered as one of the best herbs that can be given both to prevent and control diabetes.
- Good for skin glow: Turmeric contains anti-atherosclerotic properties; helps remove block in blood vessels making circulation of blood and nutrients easy.
May help fight cancer: Studies indicate that turmeric may offer some protection against cancer.
The Answer to Cancer by Hari Sharma MD has many science based facts to support this theory.
- Helps improve memory and brain function: Golden milk may be good for your brain, too. Some ingredients in golden milk may help preserve memory and reduce the decline in brain function from Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’sdisease.
- Improves digestion: Turmeric, ginger and pepper in golden milk, may help enhance digestion.
- Improves immunity and protects you against infections: The ingredients used to make golden milk have antibacterial and antiviral properties which may protect your body from infections. Their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may strengthen your immune system as well.
- Gives strength to body: Ashwagandha, Shatavar and Turmeric when taken with milk becomes strong source of strength and energy.
- Cow’s milk rich in Calcium and Vitamin D contributes to stronger bones: Golden milk can be rich in calcium and vitamin D depending on themilk you use. Both of these nutrients contribute to a strong skeleton, reducing your risk of bone diseases, such as osteopenia and osteoporosis.
Not to forget, it makes milk delicious even for people who otherwise avoid drinking milk.
Herbs added with Turmeric: A potent combination
Other herbs and spices which compliment properties of turmeric are added in golden milk to enhance its benefits. Satv Turmeric Latte contains: High Curcumin Turmeric, Ashwagandha, Shatavar, Brahmi, Ginger, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cardamom.
Turmeric: too hot to handle?
Some people, especially those with a tendency of acidity, find turmeric too hot for consumption. They can reduce the quantity to may be ¼ teaspoon of latte mix in a glass of milk and preferably take a cold brew version of turmeric latte.
Why ghee (clarified butter) added to golden milk?
It is optional to add ghee or edible coconut oil to milk as fat in them allows the curcumin in turmeric to be directly absorbed into the bloodstream.
Why black pepper added to golden milk?
Because of its heating and penetrating properties, black pepper is thought to enhance curcumin’s bioavailability by over 1,000 times.
Is a sweetener required to be added?
It is optional to use a sweetener. When using, any natural sweetener: honey, jaggery, maple syrup, etc. can be added to Latte.
(If you use honey as a sweetener, make sure that you don’t heat honey: heated honey is considered toxic in Ayurveda. Plus, please note never to use ghee and honey in the same proportion as it is considered toxic in Ayurveda.)
Dairy or Vegan milk?
Either of them can be used for making Turmeric Latte.
Method of brewing a good Golden Turmeric Milk Latte
- Bring a glass of milk (240 ml ) to a gentle boil over low heat.
- Add ½ teaspoon of Satv Latte into it. The quantity can vary (1/5th teaspoon to 1 teaspoon) depending upon taste. If you are new to turmeric, start with a lower quantity and gradually increase as you develop a taste for it.
- Continue to boil for about a minute.
- Pour in your favorite cup.
- When slightly cooled, optionally add honey, jaggery or any other (natural) sweetener of your choice.
- Enjoy warm deliciously healthy and immunizing golden milk.
Specially in the summer, hot milk is not preferred by many. So you can choose to make a cold latte when the temperature is rising.
- The best way to brew cold turmeric latte is to allow the above hot brewed golden milk to cool down.
- Refrigerate it and add ice if required.
- It will taste just like a good milkshake.
- You may experiment with different recipes of milk shake by adding dates, nuts, etc. to it.
Though above are best ways to brew, for a quick golden milk recipe it is fine to just add Turmeric Latte Mix in a warm or cold cup of milk, stir well and enjoy it.
Enjoy Golden Milk either in the morning or at night before going to bed.
References: Medical News Today, HealthLine and Easy Ayurveda.